Sunday, January 11, 2009

Wearing my rolex

I've kind of come to the conclusion that for now I need to broaden my blogs musical focus. There are only so much great music coming out of Portland at a time and I don't really like to focus too much on the ones already being written about.

Here's a track that I recently came upon from U.K Grime pioneer Wiley. He's a pioneer for sure, but until he dropped "Wearing my rolex" the majority of his recognition came from being linked with Grime phenomenon Dizzee Rascal. If you haven't heard of Dizzee then you're really out of the Grime loop.

This track isn't really true Grime by the standards of those who consider themselves the "Grimiest." But, it's very British and I'm a sucker for a good beat and a good cockney flow. One thing I really like about this one is that it's very much in the vain of old school hip-hop. It's focused around one material item, such as shoes or a watch rather than going on about having everything. It's very reminiscent of Dizzee's track off of last years "Maths and English" titled "Bubbles" where he flaunts his pair of Nike's. Also, I like the fact that Wiley is admitting to letting the female getting the best of her rather than demeaning her. A little different vibe than a lot of mainstream hip-hop.

Wiley - Wearing my rolex



Dizzee Rascal - Bubbles

No comments: