Thursday, May 22, 2008

critique from A&R representative of the Universal Music Group (UMG)


so, as a part of finishing in the top five of that famecast.com thing one of my prizes was to choose between a $100 gift cirtificate from Guitar Center or to get one of my tracks sent to an A&R representative for the Universal Music Group. choosing the later, i got my response a couple of days ago. as it was told to me by the famecast.com people, they would only critique the one's that they like the most, which i guess i'll take as the truth. in that respect, i'm flattered they chose to critique mine, which was "knives that stab your face."

"I really like this vibe. I love the harmonies and the stacked vocals. The music would fit perfectly next to Bright Eyes and other indie bands of that ilk. The lyrics are great. Please send me the full record when it's complete. I stress that in this genre of music, it's very important to cultivate a fan base before trying to get on a major label, as all major label operations are based around radio support. I checked out the myspace and don't see too much activity. I'd like to see more. I want to see an organic fan reaction. Lots of talent here. Look forward to hearing the full LP."

I'm pretty happy with what he said. Though, I never had any expectations that any kind of major label would be interested at this point without any kind of real fanbase.

No comments: